Search:

Search VTCouponer: Search Google:

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Oven Empanadas Recipe, and a little background...

My hubby just so happens to be a full-blooded Nicaraguan, and his mother just so happens to be an AMAZING cook, so he grew up on some of the finest Nicaraguan food, mixed with some incredible authentic Mexican food, that you could ever hope to have.  I absolutely ADORE visiting my mother in law, or having her come visit, because I know she is going to cook, cook, and cook some more!  Nacatamales, home made tortillas, gallo pinto, carne asada... my mouth is watering just thinking about it!  Needless to say, most of these recipes have worked their way into my recipe books and are standards in our house.  One of the meals hubby asked me for many times and I finally caved and gave it a try was empanadas.  Now, I will say that my empanadas are less than authentic, I use store-bought pie crust rather than making my own.  With all the cooking and baking I do, I can't make a good pie crust from scratch to save my life... so I don't.  LOL  Also, "real" empanadas are fried, I bake mine.  I had a friend that burned down not one, but TWO houses with a Fry Daddy, so I don't fry... anything... ever.  ;)  Anyways, back to the recipe.  Empanadas are little meat pies, you will find them with a variety of fillings as the recipe will vary from region to region depending on what is common in that area.  Here is the filling recipe I use:


Empanada Filling:
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
½ tablespoon oregano
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon hot chili powder


Heat the oil in a skillet over a medium heat and add the onion. Fry until tender. Crumble in the ground beef; add the seasonings, spices, and cook, stirring often, until the beef is browned all over. Drain any excess grease and stir in the vinegar and raisins. Refrigerate until cold, and then stir in the chopped eggs.

My Note:  I don't use the raisins.  I did the very first time I made them and hubby gave me the thumbs down, so they were ousted.  I have used diced olives (found in the Chilean empanadas), a cup or so of cooked rice, and did one with a dollop of refried beans and shredded cheese in there too.


While the filling is cooling I prep the pie crusts.  You can make one big empanada using a whole pie crust and slice it to serve, or you can make individual hand-sized ones, which is what I do.  I cut out round disks about 4-5 inches across from the crusts, but the filling in the middle, top with another pie crust disk, and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.  But really, you can make them any shape you want, make star-shaped empanadas if you are feeling a little "wheeee!" that day.  LOL  Once all are done, brush the top with an egg wash and bake at  400 degrees for 10 to 20 minutes (depending on what size you make your empanadas) or until sizzling and browned on top.  Serve while hot or cool and refrigerate or freeze for reheating later.  These are great for making ahead and freezing for lunches or whatnot.  Hope you give them a try and enjoy them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment